Friday, April 10, 2009

The Adventures of #2-"First week at new job"




Now that the Program that I worked on is over and done with I have embarked on a new adventure. On Friday of last week- we had the usual office party-though this time was the last. However, what made this remarkable besides the event that the party was for- was that I inherited the office mascot named #2. He is a plastic toy really. He is made of that rubber foam stuff and is a pencil-compliments to each of us in sales from the "Teacher's Insurance Plan of NJ". Sean made his special-he was decorated with an aluminum foil head-band and was given a mouth to hold a pen. He also had a small plastic skeleton sitting on his cubile to keep #2 company by the name of "Mr. Patel" in honor of the many Patel families that we sold policies to in NJ. My Co-worker Sean gave him to me as a parting gift. I felt honored. So in remembrance of the occasion, I thought I would update Sean on his adventures. Sean cherished his desk toys and loved #2. Other male co-workers would usually throw them at us female co-workers and I stupidy would pick them up and throw them back-untill I caught on.

Since our last day on Friday, April 3rd-after a tearful farewell I parted with #2 stuffed safely in my book bag with my empty coffee container and mug and reading materials. Call time was very slow on those last few days of the program.

Now, this is his first week at the new job-so I could understand his adjustment. Last week he was top in sales with ten minute breaks for cigarettes and now he has fifteen minutes. I am a good boss. He mainly sits in front of the monitor-missing his old boss Sean-though I have given him his space to adjust. He is used to the small cubicle and numerous co-workers who talk about fish fillets and ferrets all of the time. Now he stares at the monitor and sometimes has Cheese-Its at his desk. He is still adjusting to the loss of Sean and Mr. Patel.

Tuesday I even let him spin some wool. He is having a rough time though-since he has no arms. I understand and will let him adjust and hope for the best....

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see that my very best ex-cubicle mate #2 is adjusting. I must admit he never did profess his love for Cheeze-Its to me. It's clear you have won his trust as he usually keeps his secrets very close to his foam heart.
    -Flukey

    ReplyDelete