Monday, March 30, 2009

Sheep Sheering Time! Muddin' in the dooryard!


Sunday, March 29th. The day had started out drizzly and cold as is normal for Maine in late March. We have also been known to have the occasional snow storm this time of year and sometimes in April as well. This day we had planned on for weeks. With Icelandic sheep it is fine to shear them this early since they would shed on their own if not sheared in time. Normally I would have them sheared twice a year though this year I wanted to see how they would look if I followed the traditions of their original masters, the Vikings.

The breed I have is from Iceland and the Vikings would put them out to the field this time of year after the shearing and the lambing season to common fields. The survivors would be brought into shelters for the long winters in the fall when the snow arrives. They are a primitive and hearty breed and their wool is not only long and colorful but plentiful as well. With all of the colors available in nature, you do not have to dye the wool. The wool comes in two layers; the Tog which is the thick outer layer that actually looks like locks of hair and the thin, fine inner layer that can be used to stuff pillows. I put both of the types of wool together and get the famous Lopi wool that is used in the beautiful Icelandic wool sweaters.

This breed of sheep has not been bred with any other type of sheep for hundreds of years and is one of the oldest and untouched breed available. It is the perfect breed for the climate here in the mountains of Western Maine. They thrive out here and love the snow. I have seen them stand in the field with several of inches of snow on their backs unfazed. Icelandic sheep have been used as the primary source of wool, meat and milk for Iceland for as recently as thirty-five years ago when they were brought over here. There are a few farms about with this breed. They are far different from their more modern cousins. They are shorter and feistier. Most breeds of sheep have only one lead sheep of the herd-though with the Icelandic sheep, many can be dominant and they rams are known to get somewhat aggressive with each other for dominance. Some of this breed brought over here have horns and some don't my own herd is mixed. Only one surviving to this day actually has his horns. I had lost two ram lambs, probably due to their fighting it out. I had not actually witnessed it, though have buried them in the back with lots of tears. We have had to fix the males we are not using for breeding to cut down on that aggression in the herd, through sad example.

Enough about the breed in general. Now about the shearing day. It was cold, as I mentioned. The sky was gray and drizzly and you could see your breath. My daughter Jacqui and I dressed in layers and headed out to the barn to prepare for their big day. They had been fed their grain, hay and fresh water, though kept in their stalls. We wanted them there. They must have known because they called out to me in their sheepy questioning baaas.

We were in the kitchen when Dave Averill arrived. He showed up in his truck and came out with his tackle box and electric shears. The Vikings would comb the sheep this time of year with large combs. Though in modern Chesterville, we use electric shears!

They also long for his time of year as well to be loosened of their heavy burden and to tromp about without all of the heavy layers of wool. As the snow thaws and the weather gets warmer they long for the fresh air on their backs with out all of that wool-thus we helpt them of that. They might protest this, but now I wonder if it is their game. Since they seem so happy after when they are out in the field.

Dave has been here several times since I have first had the farm and he followed us into the barn. We gave him the electric cord for the shears and laid out the tarp on the ground and had the broom ready. We had also lined up the bags of wool for easy access.

Thus began the assembly line that we had all grown used to. Dave would go into the stall with the large rams and took out Njord first-the papa of most of them and brought him out of the stall to the middle area. We set to work. Dave would sit Njord down in the middle to still him. There are certain positions that you put sheep in and they stay put. It looks silly when you first see it-but they don't move and it is early to shear them. I would have taken picture of this process but the light in the barn is limited and not good enough for my digital camera. I will take some more when the shy is blue again.

Thesheep are huge and some can be quite aggressive-depending on the breed. Mine are small, though almost large with all of the long heavy wool. Njord is white and brown as is the other ram named Odin-who was next. Though Odin had the curling horns. So Njord was put this way and that and quickly and efficiently we watched the wool sheared off. The fleece was removed in almost one section. When Njord was put to sitting again-his hooves were then clipped. This was the time that I grabbed all of the fleece and Jacqui and I quickly split it up to put in bags. We ran them up to the garage-the dry area to put the bags of freshly sheared wool to be organized and cleaned later. We then put Njord out to the field while he protested, and then quickly shut the doors and swept the area clean for the next one. I peeked out and saw Njord out in the filed slowly getting his freedom and jumping about unencumbered by all of that winter wool. Next was Odin and then the ewes (females) Of the females was the mama of them all Freyja, and Brunhild and then Skaadi, Baaa One and Baaa Two (Tiffy named them) and Thumbelina (Jacqui named her).

This was the jist of the assembly line that we had worked out. They all ran from us when we tried to catch them one by one. They should know the drill by now. I wonder if it a game that they play just to show me that they love me and to keep me on my toes!

They went out after one by one to join the others in the field and I saw some of them jumping and running about. In all it took about an hour for the whole process.

We then clean out the barn and headed back out to the muddy driveway and into the house to wash up. I was all muddy from grabbing all of the wool on the ground.

Muddin' in the Dooryard!:

This time of year everything seems to have turned to mud. There is still plenty of snow, though the thaw is in big effect and mud and puddles of melting snow are everywhere.

We had a little bit of snow that night and a frost over everything. The days can be anywhere from 30-50 and the evenings are still under freezing. We use the wood-stove at night and for the mornings and evenings this time of year. The snow banks are still there though are pushed back a bit from the road and very muddy.

My driveway has turned into a huge mud pit as I mentioned before and I had no need to warn Dave about this-he was used to the area and was careful as he pulled out and onto the road. There are also a lot of potholes and frost heaves from the temperatures. Many alignment has been ruined and cars are ditched this time of year on a normal basis. I still have my snow ties on since we can expect more snow this time of year and I carefully navigate on roads avoiding huge ditches and potholes and gaping frost heaves. I have felt my car bottom out way too many times. Though know which roads to avoid this time of year, as do most other people.

My own driveway or dooryard is a typical farm one and is made of dirt. So in the winter it becomes a huge solid ice pit. This I have warned many people about and frantically have had to go out to my car with a bag of kitty-litter or ice-melt-whichever I had on hand-just to get out to the car without breaking a leg.

This time of year it is banked with melting muddy snowbanks. The driveway is now a huge mud pit filled with huge gaping ruts that are easy to get trapped in. We talk at work about our adventures getting struck in the mud. Some people who have four-wheel drives go out on purpose to cover themselves and their cars with mud for fun. Not so with me!

For one thing, I have to navigate carefully in my waterproof boots just to get to my car-again! I could easily slip and fall in it-Yuk! This I have done before. I have to make sure the car is parked in a high relatively dry spot and then to be careful in backing out!

Last night we had our first lightning storm of the season which is why I could not get online last night. We have satellite and have to depend on atmospheric conditions-which were not cooperating with me.

So this morning, I knew my driveway would be one huge monster mud pit. However, I was running a bit late and had not paid attention when backing out. I backed right into a huge mud area and quickly became stuck right in it! My car just sank in deeper the harder I tried to get out of it! I then called work and told them why I would be a little late. I had tried to find some sticks to give it some leverage but my car was sunk too deep and was by then covered almost completely in mud. I was still dry though, for I had not fallen in it. This time-at least!

I called for a tow and they laughed and mentioned I was the first one of the season! I'm glad I am the first of something! When Sean arrived he quickly went about business. It took him while after reaching around in the slick mud to find a spot for the chain. Finally I was pulled free and went off to work. When I had arrived at work I had proof of my plight all over the car and had to explain to them that; No I had not gone "Muddin'" that I had gotten stuck! They laughed and then wondered when it would be their turn.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment